Monday, May 2, 2011

Consumed

I was fishing when the tornadoes hit. Didn't hit where I was. But they hit. And hit hard. Miles away. But I was fishing. And never really checked up. Consumed by my own interest. Looking back its disgusting.

I saw some pictures and read some articles. But I was just too consumed with my tournament. I called my family and friends to make sure they were fine. Then I went back to what I was doing. Consumed with my performance there.

Now I'm home. Watching video after video. Still impossible to grasp. Thinking. About all those who were consumed. By a storm. Now consumed by rubble. Consumed by grief. Consumed by broken futures, broken families, and broken hearts.

And I'm sitting here tonight with my family. Eating a steak and drinking a Coke. Neither with any taste. They don't have water. They don't have food. They don't have anything to consume. The storm took it all. Mixed it together and threw it back down.

Now I'm consumed by guilt. Consumed by compassion. Consumed by purpose. As we all should be. Its time to help. I'm headed to Tuscaloosa. Go there. Go somewhere. Go help.

1 comment:

  1. Shaye, You are a good man raised by a good man that was raised by a GREAT man. You just be careful on the road and while you are there, Your friend,Squirrel Pitchford

    ReplyDelete