Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Date on the Milk

I am now on the verge of departure. The truck and boat both loaded to the brim with clothes, tackle, and other supplies. Christmas goodies, freshly peeled of their wrapping papers. A Sam's run filled the cooler with turkey, cheese, and week's worth of soda and ramen noodles. Ready to ride.

I open the fridge at my parents house to take one last look around, hopeful that a few sausage balls or a slice of red velvet might have survived the onslaught of the holidays. Nothing left. Just deviled eggs and pear salad. Wasted space in my opinion.

Then I notice something. There in the corner. Bathed in frigid light. January 7th stamped on a white jug. The date on the milk. This one carrying a little more weight than most. Not that I'm overly concerned it will spoil before we can drink it all. No, I'll be well over 500 miles away when that time comes and old milk will be the least of my worries.

I'm headed south to fish my first event of the new year, the new career. The aspiring angler in his first quote unquote "pro" tournament. Making the move from pampered collegiate angler to just another fisherman on the run. Going up against some of the same guys that loaned me their boat for a day when competing in the college ranks.

I'll soon move in to my hotel home for the next few days. Eat my dinner on Dixie plates. Practice. Pre-tournament meeting. Then prayer. Not for a win but rather for my acceptance of the outcome be it good or bad. I know I'll compete for two days. Then comes January 7th. Cut day.

I wonder where I'll be when the milk expires. Hopefully gearing up for a top 10 finish against my predecessors. If not, I'll be cleaning the boat out. Getting ready to pay it forward and take a couple new college anglers out for their chance.

Either way I have my family, a warm bed, and more blessings than I can count. Others aren't so fortunate. I thank God for what I have and I pray for those without. I hope everyone remembers the reason, not just for the season, but the reason we're here at all. If I can stay focused on Him, I have faith that everything else will work itself out.

No comments:

Post a Comment